Saturday, January 26, 2008

I heart Dark Room

I began using Dark Room this morning and I am converted. I've always been lacking a bit in the attention span department, which you might know if you've ever had a real live conversation with me. I switch subjects faster than a race car driver switches lanes. Writing had become the chore of trying to ignore my sms, my roommate, my email (3 accounts), gtalk, aim, facebook, flickr, tumblr, myspace, google reader and manage my musical selections. While its logically simple to close out of these programs one look at the little firefox icon at the corner of my screen and I'm sucked right back into the vortex of internet hell. I think to myself, I'll just quickly check my email. Suddenly an hour has been wasted looking at only God knows what and before I know it the entire morning, afternoon, evening is missing. Nothing has been written.

Dark room is created to solve the problem of distraction. Its a full blacked out screen. Surprisingly effective. Just you and the words. (The original program Write Room was developed for macs)

The above is what I've completed in the past twenty minutes or so. I'm excited. I've got a soundtrack and a little forward momentum.

Happy Saturday.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger dqerwin said...

This is very meta. Reminds me of how Steven King writes about writing. It would be very amusing if you could continue that trend... write about the craft, the experience, the tools, the others involved, try out new formats and styles, tell about how much fun it is to write in groups and collaborate... until all of your writing is about writing, and then you could write about writing about writing...

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger mh said...

I plan on doing nothing else for the rest of the year. If you read the small print on the dark room screen, its also all about writing. Maybe I'll teach writing because I realize that I can't actually write.

I read the steven king book, at least he interspersed it with being hit by a truck and being poor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home