Thursday, January 03, 2008

More thoughts on the New Year

A friend, with whom I have regularly over the course of the past six years engaged and debated over all manner of philosophical and artistic ideas had this to say in regards to the new year and resolutions:
This year I will learn to know myself in a new way. I will find the themes and patterns that emerge naturally from my actions and desires, and I will - like Dali adding a few pen strokes to turn a block of newspaper text into a picture of a sleeping giraffe - use planned actions to highlight and emphasize that hidden me. Rather than meditating on what I could be, or dreaming of things I will do in 10 or 50 years, I will meditate on what I have done, and I will think of ways to do that more or better immediately upon awakening. Rather than focusing on what I would like to be, I will focus on what I am. Instead of planning to do something good for society, I will continue to do the things that I already do that help people.

I found it to be a little in line with my own New Years theme.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger dqerwin said...

ashamed to link to myspace, are we?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger mh said...

Myspace? Does anyone still use that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home