Friday, December 29, 2006

More Holiday Stuff (I'm still in the mood) and a bit of Jeanette Winterson

I love Jeanette Winterson, something in the winding way of her prose. Our meeting (her work and I) was quite unexpected. I had never heard of her before. Some time ago when I was trying to regain control of my life and was feeling alone I attempted to join a book club found on an internet message board. From the moment I opened the book she spoke to me. Moved me in a way that most of the things in my life weren’t. The book club never materialized. Some things do happen for a reason.

I had the pleasure of seeing her speak the following spring at the
Pen World Voices Festival, a performance (to say the least) which did not disappoint. I came across her monthly column on the web and thought I’d share an excerpt on the holidays.

The wind is howling outside – sometimes I can’t believe that I am half way through my life, and it feels precious and clear, and not be spoilt by own stupidity. It would be stupid not to live in the moment, which is not to say to live irresponsibly, but to live as fully aware as possible. To live in the fullness of time, and not on its edges. The wind will uproot me one day, and I’ll be gone, so when it comes to pauses – like Christmas, I want to remember what things matter, and what really doesn’t.

Don’t go mad, don’t get tired, don’t be pointless, don’t waste time, this Christmas. Love where you can, help a stranger, and if you are the stranger who needs help, ask for it.

Doesn’t matter if this isn’t your faith, or if you have no faith at all – there is enough here for everyone, and the symbol of Christmas is powerful because it is true – new life, a new chance, a change to the existing order – a Dream, (actually there are 4 dreams in the Nativity story), a Star, a Baby, Love.


Find the rest of the column here. Find the above refenced book here.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why don't you excerpt to us from your own writing? Then maybe we'd believe you were writing something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home