Monday, October 10, 2005

Post Number Eleven*

*Department of WTF

Speaking of Ms. Smith, I just found this lovely piece on Moorish Girl about a recent reading in Portland:
The Q&A proceeded in a rather textbook fashion ("How do you write?" "What are you reading at the moment?" "Which writers have influenced you?" etc.) Then a gentleman sitting in the balcony asked her how she felt about "normalizing black people."

(I am not making this up.)

Though Smith appeared to be bewildered by the question, she remained gracious, and calmly responded that she doesn't see what would be wrong with that, because she herself feels very normal [a round of applause].

I’m so thankful to Zadie, if it wasn’t for her readers I might have no idea that I was abnormal in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home