Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pleasure, Reason and Vulnerability

So I was thinking about Freud and the pleasure principle (and subsequently the reality principle), all creatures will naturally gravitate toward things that cause them pleasure and avoid things that cause them pain. The reality principle says that once people begin to learn about life or reality, they still seek pleasure but in the manner that experiencing the initial pain might lead to a more happiness in the future.

Its kind of been a starting point for a lot of ideas I've had over the past week about my life in regards to the different stages of maturity and how certain things in my life fall on either side of these principles. I was trying to write a post about vulnerability, but its obviously not happening, using this principle to dissect my attitudes toward openness. So I have decided to post about the post that I never wrote...even though there isn't much direction to it, just because I think its worth thinking about.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger dqerwin said...

I'm impressed by this mashing together of unrelated things... it's almost like you're trying to say something... : )
but just one question: who the hell is freund? I guess I could look it up, but I'm beginning to like it when you tell me what these different authors are to you.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger mh said...

Eh...thanks...now I look like an asshole for the typo.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger mh said...

Ps. I was trying to say something and stopped by the fact that I wanted to say nothing at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home